Blog Archive

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Change/Stability/Love

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” -- Heraclitus

Humanity is a global economy. The currency is stability backed by fear. There's such a great market for fear right now. As fear runs the world, people have a harder time letting go of what they know -- no matter how detrimental it is to the human spirit. They will cling to the ship as it goes down because what exists in the unknown of open water is far scarier than a death of their own design. I see it daily. People who don't leave their homes when the floods are coming. People don't leave jobs they hate because they have to ask the questions: what about my family; what about my bills; what about my way of life? 

What is the by-product of that cycle? Your kids get jobs they hate, and their kids get jobs they hate, and etc ... because each generation has obligations to things that are supposed to make their life better -- i.e. they have something stable they can't leave. And so their slice of the pie is enough to keep them just content enough to endure a little worse outcome each go around -- because it always could be worse. And when people finally look around as to how fucked the entire world is, it'll be too late. And even then, people will feel content to have what little they do have -- because it always could be worse. 

For humanity to thrive (quality, not quantity), the currency must be change/progress backed by love. I believe a person can never sacrifice anything in the name of love because in the in the name of love you submit yourself to the current of the greater thing, and wherever you may end up should not be a concern of real love. But if something as strong as love can be rejected in favor of stability, what hope does mankind really have? At this point, people believe in the mortgage more than the truth.

"Magic beans," I say. 

The idea of stability is as good/useful to humanity as magic beans -- really, what is certain in life? Fashions change, technology changes, mountains erode and stars die. The question I ask myself, if the world is constantly in flux, "which would I rather prove daily: love or contentment?" 

If there's ever going to be any transcendence in the world, love must be at the precipice of that realization. I understand the appeal of stability. Most people work to have reliable parts of their life that they may rest their wary heads on, but every day you live for stability, you sacrifice your role in life. It's not a matter of what is sacrificed, but why it is sacrificed. And every day, the answer to that question is fear. So how can people ever hope to evolve if love is sacrificed for what has crawled to this point?  

That’s the wonder of life. I spend all this time working out all these thoughts in my head, but when it’s go time, time to put them on paper and sort them out, I can’t string more than two words together without saying. “Fuck this shit. It’s not going to work," I say to myself. "It’s not going to work." And because that’s true, I am going to abandon all that I have achieved thus far in an effort to save myself from myself. That’s exactly what I’ve been saying to myself recently. If one thing can change your whole perspective, then how well can you trust your perspective going into that one thing? Well. Realistically. I’d like to believe that I believe what I believe. I mean, in the face of love, nothing seems certain, but it all seems possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment