Blog Archive

Friday, February 11, 2011

Week 1 - Pt 1

02.04.2011
Lucas Molandes

There are thoughts I have -- that we all have -- that never get voiced. And the reason they don't have a voice is because I feel like they are common sense thoughts. So I'll sit on an idea because it feels so innate to basic human nature that bringing it up might come off as derivative or hack ... and then I'll hear someone else do a bit about the idea on stage, and it's well received, snd I'll think, "hey, I had that thought. Why didn't I do anything with it?"  So the idea here is to just write whatever thoughts I have and not worry about how unoriginal they sound. One Never Knows.

---

Does it matter where I live? I could live anywhere in the world, but as long as I'm complacent, location doesn't change anything about myself. New York is a place that people from all over come to advance and grow. If you're not here for that reason, then what is the benefit of being in this city? This place can be a place great for growth, but it can be a jail. Either outcome depends on what you're willing to work for.

New York, LA, continents, earth.

Why be anywhere if you're not following your heart and dreams?  The failure in life isn't that one has a shitty job and barely makes enough money to get by. The failure in life is that one will use that as an excuse to justify why they don't do anything with the freedoms they do have. So what's the big picture then? Its not about how your fears and frustrations affect you today; It's how they affect you in the long run. We'll all get there eventually.

---

The city works hard to pound the dents out of you. You'll feel beaten, over and over, certainly, but the end goal isn't to break you. It's forging you. It'll forge you into something stronger if you're able to not loose sight of the individuality and motivations that brought you here in the first place.

One can't wear their strenghts as a defense mechanism if they're worn incorrectly. How can they be worn incorrectly? Well, you wear a jacket in the winter because it's cold. If you wear that jacket in the summer, then you reveal how out of touch you are with the changing environment. 

I suppose what I'm getting at here is that once you begin to figure out a mind set (or voice) that allows you to face your nerves in a constructive manner, you'll begin to write in that voice because there's a security to it. It'll help you feel empowered, but the trap is that you could become a charicature of yourself if you don't stay flexible and remain aware of your own psychological environment. 

As long as you realize, "hey, I can't fail as long as I'm not afraid to fail;" you'll develop a skill set that makes you adaptable to any place you decide to visit, and you won't become a irrelevant beyond the region in which you live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment