Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Trundle Bed-Stuy

I'm throwing on a pot of coffee so that I can feel something other than the directionless malaise that has over-taken me since I landed in Austin 3 minutes ago. How long will it take my system to flush out the the hard-edged sensibilities New York left in my being? If I take a piss test in three weeks, will I no longer test positive for Edge, The Right Stuff, Grit, Heart, Moxie, or Keepin' It Real?

Oh New York, you are a sly one. All the difficult times and lessons that seemed to have no purpose are now revealing their greater import. Why do I have to spend 2 hours waiting for trains? Why am I always on someone elses schedule? Why is it not okay to make eye contact with anyone, yet I secretly stare at everyone? What does it mean? Well, Daniel-son, wax off, wax on, wax poetic -- you see what I'm saying? You dig? The Big Apple a day... These lessons add up to something called livin' la vida Lucas. Coffee is made. There's a little bit of life in each sip. New York is already on the horizon again. 

03.02.2011

I've been sitting here for the last hour trying to figure out what to write. For some reason I'm unable to decipher all the nuggets of wisdom I scratched onto the wrinkled napkin the flight attendant gave me somewhere between Newark and Austin. These words made sense 3 hours ago. Well, I suppose the problem is that since I last put my head to the pillow, I've seen the sun rise twice. It happens.


I've gone from air-mattress in Brooklyn to trundle-bed in Austin. When I was a kid I worried about the boogieman under my bed. These days I'm concerned about the other bed under my bed. Trundle bed? A sign of success you are not. No one has ever found comfort in the idea, "hey, sure I sleep alone, but I have another mattress...just in case (sad tear)." That other mattress stands as a memorial to the idea that someday hope, like a runaway child, will return and you can say to it, "we haven't touched your room since you left." But she ain't coming back. She ran away to be in an abusive relationship, which is still better than living under your bed, by your rules.....

zzzzzz
coffee failing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment